Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Halloween

It was a perfect weekend at our house! We had so much fun going to parties and trick or treating! Unfortunately attack of the musical costumes hit and we had a lot of changing clothes, but other than that, it was great! Joshua was a knight in shining armor and Savannah was the damsel in distress.....remember, Savannah wanted this costume because she liked the one I made??? Yeah, well, she didn't like it so much when it was actually made, so she rotated through costumes for our Halloween festivities! She wore that costume for actual trick or treating.
Here she is as a princess wearing my jr. prom royalty crown! I knew that thing would come in handy if I held onto it long enough! This is how she dressed for Trunk or Treat at church.

And finally, here she is as a witch (which is the costume that I had originally got for her to wear this halloween....). She wore this to the neighborhood fall festival.
Samuel was a very cool skeleton (which I did NOT make because Kmart was selling the costume for $10 and it was so worth my time NOT to make it and it came with gloves and a very cool hooded mask which were promptly lost before any trick or treating happened......)
I volunteered to make homemade rootbeer for the neighborhood party and the kids had SO much fun helping me make it! No one had ever even heard of doing this before and thought it was the coolest thing EVER! I got so many "I don't even like rootbeer, but I LOVE THIS!" comments that I stopped counting! It was definitely a hit at the party! If you have never made homemade rootbeer, here is your recipe for the day.....
Homemade Rootbeer
3/4 bottle Rootbeer extract
3 1/3 gallons water
7 cups sugar
3-4 lbs. dry ice
Mix extract, water and sugar in a 5 gallon drink cooler until dissolved. Add dry ice saving out a few pieces to add later when serving. Allow to bubble then rest about an hour before serving. DO NOT cover cooler until the bubbling is stopped! When you are ready to serve you can add a few more pieces of dry ice to the cooler for the bubbling, foggy effect!

3 comments:

Sonda said...

Fun, fun, fun! I've done the homemade rootbeer too. I've always made it while they watched and told the kids that the sugar was crushed up bones, the extract is vampire blood, and the dry ice is zombie brains. They LOVE it!

Rachel said...

this was always the hit for us and friends whenever dad would make it. I need to make some for my kids they would love it.

Darla said...

I LOVE Dry Ice Rootbear. Why'd you have to tell me it had that much sugar, though?!! (;