Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Homemaker By Choice

I get phone calls periodically from a local market research company that hires people to participate in focus group studies. They usually go through a series of screening questions to determine if you qualify and then they choose people to participate. I signed up about a year ago, but I haven't had a chance yet to participate in a focus group. Yesterday they called again and went through the questions for the latest study......

Researcher: "Do you work full or part time?"
Me: "I don't work."
Researcher: "So you are a homemaker then?"
Me: "Yes"
Researcher: "Are you a homemaker by choice?"

I paused and a smile played across my lips. A homemaker by choice?
What else would I be?!!!

You see, it's been a rough couple of weeks around my house.....ones that I don't care to repeat any time soon; or ever again, for that matter. Things have gone from bad to worse.....and worse.....and yet again worse. I have spent many sleepless nights and more time on my knees in prayer than I ever thought possible. Homemaking and motherhood are not for the faint of heart. It's a thankless job and I don't think there is any way I could do it if I wasn't in it wholeheartedly!

Fifteen and a half years ago, with the encouragement of my husband, I made my choice.....to walk away from a career and be a mother and a homemaker. It has not been easy; it has been the hardest thing I have ever done. But it has been worth the sacrifice. I have laid a foundation of faith for my children that they cannot deny. (Not that they won't try, mind you; I do believe in agency!) I have devoted my life to my family and they are everything to me.

Yes, I am a homemaker by choice.

Thank you to the researcher who reminded me.....I needed to hear that this week.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Great story Janine! Thanks for the reminder...even though I'm not a full time stay at home mom. Hope things are looking up soon! When are you coming our way again?? We need to do lunch or dinner or something when you are here!!

Sonda said...

We all could use that reminder every now and again. It IS a choice, and not an easy one. For on one side you have $$, freedom, and a feeling of worldly importance. On the other is 24/7 WORK, no thanks, lots of little bosses. The clincher is that you do get a great feeling of Celestial impportance!

The Porter Family said...

It is the most challenging job on the planet, and therefore, the most rewarding. Sometimes the rewards seem to come few and far between, but if we look closely, there is a reminder ever day of why we do it! Just today, I read an old email I sent to my parents when they were gone on their mission and my daughter was 2. Whenever she would do something cute, I would say, "I wish grandma could see you." So then one afternoon she was doing something she figured was clever and said in her cute 2 year old voice, "Too bad grandma can't see me!" That little memory made me laugh and reminds me of how great this job really is. One of my favorite parts of vacationing is having people ask about my family and I LOOOOOOVE to tell them I am a stay at home mom. It's such an oddity these days. You seem to be doing a fantastic job of mothering. I wish the world was full of good moms. It would be an altogether different place!

Rachel said...

Reading this I am reminded of a favorite quote that I have in my scriptures. It says "If we don't discipline our children the world will and they don't love them."

I love you Sis hang in there, I pray for you daily.

Julie said...

And here's the beauty of it all...you are good at EVERYTHING YOU do...I just wish kids were the same way.