Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Road Wins This Round

In the ongoing battle of a boy and his bike vs. THE ROAD, another victim has been claimed.....(Shelby says this is way too gross to put on my blog, but hey, we document the good, the bad and the ugly here! Besides, this is 2 days later and looks SOOOOO much better than it did.) Anyway, for all the brute strength and coordination Samuel has, he seems to have more than his share of bicycle accidents. He has been flipped over the handlebars twice this year alone! Our neighbor has brought him home scraped up and bleeding from his crashes on the way to the pool. So when the latest crash happened, I wasn't too overly concerned. I was out shopping for day camp supplies (kill me now, but that's another story that I will share next week!) and got the call from the pool that Samuel had crashed and stubbed his toe. I hurried back to the pool and found Samuel happily eating a snow cone with his foot all wrapped up. He didn't want to unwrap it for me, and he wasn't crying, so I wasn't too concerned. However, about 5:00 pm he comes to me and unwraps it and I about threw up! The scraped up part on the knuckle of his toe was incredibly deep, like a big chunk had been taken out of it. There were pieces of black asphalt in it and I wasn't about to dig them out! So off we went to Immediate Care. They soaked it then xrayed it to be sure that all the road grit was out (there was concern that some may have embedded in the bone....gross, I know!) and then debrided it off all the dead skin, packed the wound and wrapped it up. They sent him home on an antibiotic to prevent infection. Then the next day, we went to his regular doctors office where we went through the whole process again (minus the xrays). We will go for one more visit Friday and then hopefully he will be good to go. Apparently the risk of infection is highest the first few days so they like to keep an eye on things. Needless to say, the bike is currently parked in the garage and there will be no more bike riding with flip flops.....at least not this summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's the little piggy that went to the market