Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Joshua's Birthday

Poor Joshua.....his birthday always gets fit in between Christmas and family celebrations and chaos.....but he is a good sport! Since we were travelling to Granny and PawPaw's and they had a cake for him, he decided to just open presents on the morning of his birthday and wait on the cake until the next day. He was thrilled to get his first Airsoft guns and some ammunition! Finally, a step up from nerf guns! Later that day, he invited his friend, Nate, over and they went and played at LaserQuest for a few hours. Then it was into the car for a long ride to Granny and PawPaw's for the family Christmas celebration. Because Shelby had to work, I stayed behind and brought her down the next day. Joshua wanted us to be there for his birthday party, so he waited to have it the next day when we got there.
Granny and Aunt Cathy had arranged for a friend to make a lacrosse cake for Joshua. He was so excited about his cake!

It was so much fun having cousins around to share in the party! No one else gets to do that! Because Joshua was turning 12, we arranged for his ordination ceremony to be done at the church where we were visiting so that his uncles and grandpa could participate.

It was a very small branch out in the country in North Carolina. I think we about doubled the size of their congregation that day!
Chris was able to ordain Joshua as a deacon before Sacrament Meeting, so they asked Joshua to help pass the sacrament. He was given the section where we were all sitting and it was neat to have him pass to us! Joshua is such a good boy. He is very conscientious about doing what is right and we are so proud of the choices he has made. I appreciated the dignity with which he passed the sacrament.
Years ago, when I was struggling through all the miscarriages, I read the account of Hannah in the scriptures. Like Hannah, I was begging God to send me a child. I vowed to dedicate this child to the Lord, if He would just let me have a baby. I was not surprised when I found out Joshua was a boy. I felt such a kinship with Hannah that it just seemed right that I would have a boy too! We chose the name Joshua because it meant "gift of God", and that is just what he was. I remember holding him in my arms and being overwhelmed with the feeling of peace. As he has grown up, I have tried to teach him the things he needs to know, to hold up my end of the bargain, to dedicate this child to the Lord. Like any mother, there are times when I question if I have done enough. I know there is always more that I could do. Joshua's goodness is evident to everyone who meets him. He continues to bring a feeling of peace into our home and I know that Heavenly Father is so pleased with the young man he has become.
We love you, Joshua! Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Joshua is so sweet. There are times when he will play with Charlotte at church and he has just such a tender nature about him.

Darla said...

So cool! Joshua, you are such a good boy!