Friday, October 16, 2009

Looking for Leaves

After living on the east coast for 12+ years, I realized that I have never taken the time to ride up to the mountains to see the leaves. You see, I grew up in the desert and you always took a trip to the mountains to see the leaves change (preferably within the week of seeing the colors start to change or the leaves would all have fallen down!). When I moved to tree country, it seemed a little strange to drive somewhere to see the leaves because I had no less than 30 trees in my own yard! But we decided to try something new this year and headed up to the Blue Ridge Parkway.....

We actually ended up being a little early for the changing of the leaves, so we may make the trip again in a few weeks.
We didn't see any bears.....but Samuel looked like a little bear cub climbing this tree! I snapped this new picture of Shelby to show off her black hair....she dyed it while I was at Time Out for Women this weekend....
Savannah and I climbed down into the rocks at the overlook. Yes, this is how she dresses to go hiking....you never know when you might need to look beautiful! Actually, this just started out as a Sunday drive, but when we got up in the mountains, we decided to walk up to the overlook........

Even with the slight changes in color, it was absolutely beautiful and we can't wait to go back! The kids really want to do a cookout in the mountains, so we will have to make a day of it!

1 comment:

The Porter Family said...

It's true. In Utah we have to go up the mountains to fully appreciate the beauty...and it is gorgeous up the canyon right now. It looked pretty in your pictures though. (I always think we have a lot of trees here, until we go to the east coast!)

PS...Remember dying or bleaching your hair as a teenager? That makes me smile! She looks cute!

Important election going on in Virginia! Don't forget to vote! ;)