Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Back to School!

This is it.....The year that does me in! Five kids in FIVE DIFFERENT SCHOOLS!!!! What was I thinking?!!! It all started out so innocently a few years ago when we got our children started in the gifted program. Our home elementary school doesn't offer gifted services, so when the kids qualify for them starting in 3rd grade, you have the option of being sent out to a special school for center-based gifted classes. They are incredible! Everything you would want in a child's classroom to keep them stimulated and excited about learning! How could we not send our children who were basically keeping a seat warm and reading books all day at their current elementary school while pulling straight A's. It was a no-brainer! Then came high school where we found out that our county offered lots of choice in high schools by way of specialty centers and Governor's Schools. Once again, amazing programs that we couldn't resist. There was a rigorous selection process involving applications, interviews and auditions that in my mind rivaled that college application process and here we are......Savannah in first grade at our home elementary school, Samuel in 4th grade at the center-based gifted elementary school, Joshua in the center-based gifted middle school, Caleb in the Governor's School for the Arts, and Shelby in the honors program at her high school. I feel like I have done the very best thing for each child, but in the process have not done the very best thing for the family as a whole. Needless to say, with 5 different start times for schools, it was a very hectic morning on the first day back and I only ended up with pictures of the youngest two. Samuel couldn't stand still long enough for me to snap his picture because he didn't want to miss the bus, but this headshot reminds me of that little touch of mischief I have always loved in him!
Savannah was more than happy to oblige my need for pictures. First we had to get the backpack and the hair do which she designed herself (notice the doll which she picked out because it was the only modest one in the bunch!)....
Then we had the pose to show off the outfit......
Followed by the close-up on the shoes, which really couldn't be missed.....
And then this morning, on day 2 of school, she wanted to do it all again! I mean really, shouldn't we all have a photo shoot every morning before we leave for school?!! I am just taking time to document this first week when I actually do something besides running a brush through my daughter's hair so when she gets big I can make her think I was the best mom because I always fixed her hair cute!

3 comments:

Tricia said...

What a great post. I didn't get pics of anyone but Miri. And no special hairdos here...

Darla said...

Oh my gosh, this post is hysterical. LOVE it! Dayne's been so fun to dress that I literally want to take a picture every day! And I can't believe you have 5 kids in 5 schools, Janine! PLEASE let me be of service to you. (; But, seriously!!

..oh, and p.s., Joshua is adorable. That kid is so smart. Kept us on our toes when we took him to the river for scouts. Smart kid (too bad Cole couldn't get his name right! Kept calling him Samuel! lol).

Anonymous said...

I fell totally in love with the head shot of the boy. I downloaded the hi res shot and displayed him life size on my monitor. OMG! The picture is so clear and sharp he appeared to be right in front of me. I could see every little detail. I sat there for the longest time admiring him. I finally leaned really close and thought I would try mouth kissing him. I leaned very close until my lips touched his and I started kissing him. I sat there for awhile looking at him and giving him kisses on the mouth and lips. It was like I was really kissing him and like he was my private boy I could kiss as much as I wanted. I tried kissing him on the neck and cheek as well as his mouth and lips. This kisses were becoming more and more intimate and I was really enjoying him. It was wonderful! I finally thought to myself it would be awesome to have him on display life size in my room in one of my large digital picture frames, and it would be great to have him around to look at and admire, and to kiss whenever I wanted a little intimacy with something like really beautiful.