Sunday, November 21, 2010

What Matters Most

Thanksgiving week! I am so excited! I will be hosting about 35 people (but that number is ever-changing due to sickness and work schedules), so we will see who I end up with! Cooking for that many people could be daunting in and of itself, but I love having a full house at Thanksgiving. And I think I might choose cooking over travelling all day and sleeping on the floor somewhere to celebrate at someone else's house.....but I'll let you know when its all said and done!

I have had chance this week to reflect on my life and some of the things I am thankful for. Not the kind of "taking stock" that happens when you are pondering gratitude and thanksgiving, but the kind that happens when you are faced with situations that challenge your financial security and threaten to change your life. So while I am thankful for everything, let me share with you my short list....the things that do indeed matter most.....the things that would make me happy if I were to lose everything else.

1. I have a Heavenly Father who loves me infinitely and cares about me enough to give me challenges that will help me grow.
2. I have a family and we are sealed together forever. Nothing can change that but our own choices. No matter what circumstance we live in, I will always have these sweet children and my husband.
3. I have a husband who I love and who loves me. He is my best friend, my strength and my support. He has loved me and looked beyond my weaknesses and I cannot express how grateful I am to share this life with him.
4. I have an extended family who can always be counted on to provide a listening ear, cry with me, pray for me, and build me up. I would be nothing without their added support....even if, for now, it has to be across the miles!
5. I have great friends who listen and care and give good advice and a hug when needed. They lend me their strength when I don't think my own is sufficient.

That's it. That's the short list of things that matter most. And it's not things....
It's people.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Janine I know in the midst of worrying about me you have your own struggles and things continue to add up on your plate. I am so thankful for you and your listening ear for when the Holy Ghost speaks to you and you heed it. I love you and pray for you as you pray for me xoxo