Thursday, September 10, 2009

Back to School

School started Tuesday for us and it was a yucky rainy day! Unfortunately that didn't make for the best pictures this year! Shelby barely made it to her bus stop, so there was no time for pictures. I will have to get one of her later this week. Caleb started high school and will be attending the Governor's School for the Arts. He was very excited and loves it so far. He has the benefit of extremely small class sizes due to the size of the school. He has one class with 6 kids and one with 10 which is unheard of in this part of the country! Joshua is in 5th grade this year. It is hard for me to believe he is so grown up! He has turned into an incredibly smart and responsible young man and I am so proud of him!
Samuel started a new school this year and attends the gifted program with Joshua. He was a little disappointed in his first day because he "didn't learn anything new"! That will come, Samuel, that will come!
The boys get the luxury of a bus stop right next to our house, so he we are waiting in the rain for our first day. Have I mentioned how much I don't like rain??? I am a desert girl at heart and rainy days were few and far between!
Here's my little Savannah waiting at the bus stop for her first day of Kindergarten. She was SO excited! The bus ended up being overcrowded, so we are driving till they get it all worked out. I am sad that she is at a different school than her big brothers, but she took it all in stride. She made lots of new friends her first day of school. She came home and told me that she had made friends with all the little black girls and was so excited because she had never had a black friend! Now she wants me to learn how to do braids and beads in her hair! Too cute!

And this is the mess I found when I went in to tuck her in the first night......
Apparently she was deciding what to wear on her second day of school! It was hilarious! I think I am in trouble with this little DIVA!!!
So now I am on my own. It is a little strange to walk into my quiet house after getting all my children off to school. It is almost spooky! I am finding that I can clean things up and they stay clean for a few hours, but I am also finding that I actually miss the mess of little children playing. I can't believe I am here.....It has been almost 16 years that I have had little ones under foot and I don't really know what to do with myself without them.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

If I wasn't feeling so yucky I would have called for a chat. I dream of the days where I will be in your shoes but sure that I will be crying and missing it just liek you are. Enjoy some quiet time for me will you:-)

Jodi said...

Cute first day pictures - sorry it was raining - I would have traded you...rain is my FAVORITE! I know how you feel about haveing an "empty nest" while they're at school - it was a sad day for me too! Get on f/b and we'll chat!