Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

Everyone should be so lucky to have a dad this cool!


My dad is my greatest hero.


When I was 3 or 4 years old, he took me fishing. My brother and sister and I were playing in the reservoir while he fished, and I went out a bit too far and ended up in over my head. I remember dropping to the bottom of the reservoir and sitting down Indian style in the mud. Then I blacked out! Next thing I knew, Dad had me on shore and was frantically calling my name. As the story goes, he asked me what I was doing down there and I told him that I was waiting for him to come get me!


My relationship with my dad is epitomized by that story. He has never given me any reason not to trust that he will always be there for me. During high school we moved alot. I went to 3 different high schools. By the third high school a teacher took pity on me and told me that I needed to get more involved or I would hate living in our small town. She coached the volleyball team, so she asked me and my sister to be managers for the JV and Varsity teams. I knew NOTHING about volleyball, but I quickly learned how to take stats! My dad would come and sit in the stands and I figured he was just coming to see the games because it was a small town and there was nothing to do. One day during a break between games I went over to talk to him and asked him why he came to the games when I knew he had plenty to do at home. He said "I came to watch my daughter take stats!" At the time I found it hilariously stupid, but now I appreciate his desire to be involved in my life.


Adventures were dad's specialty and he could take any old day and turn it into an adventure! Even something as mundane as cutting the lawn involved us because he would lay out a maze and cut it into our grass! All the kids in the neighborhood loved to come play at our backyard! Saturday morning hikes were a fun pasttime when the weather warmed up. We caught frogs and snakes and scorpions, climbed mountains, waded across streams, turned over rocks to look for bugs, hunted for arrowheads, forged trails, camped out, and swam in lakes. When the leaves turned color in the fall, Dad made sure that we got up to the mountains to hike amongst the colors. The love I have for nature today is a gift that my Dad gave to me.


When I went away to college, Dad did not forget me. I remember getting letters in the mail that were written on letterhead from his school or posted in Caliente where he worked. It was neat for me to see that because I knew Dad was writing because he wanted to write me, not because Mom told him that he should. I could just see Dad sitting in his office on lunch break taking the time to write me a letter. I love that he cared enough to always send words of wisdom and advice and confidence in my abilities.


Over the years, I have realized what an incredible thing it is to be a father. More than anything, I believe it is a choice. Thank you Dad, for choosing to be the best father you could be, even in spite of not having a father who set an example for you. I was so blessed to be a part of your family. I love you!


No comments: