Thursday, May 15, 2008

Wrist Surgery



Last Friday I went in for surgery on my wrist. I had to have a ganglion cyst removed and I really thought it would be a minor surgery and I would be back to my normal self in no time. Boy was I wrong! First, there is no such thing as minor surgery, and second, I will never be my normal self until I have full use of my left hand again! Today, I removed the bandage covering the actual incision and saw the damage for myself for the first time. Definitely not pretty! The yellow is leftover bruising and the purple arrow is my doctor's marking to show where he would operate. Heaven forbid he should cut open the wrong wrist!


A lot of things have sufferred around here with mom's left hand out of commission. My poor husband has had to discover the joys of driving our teenage daughter to early morning seminary, the house is definitely not as clean as it used to be, dishes are waiting next to the sink to be washed by someone with TWO functional hands, cooking has fallen by the wayside as I have discovered the impossibility of lifting a pot of boiling water with one hand, and my hair has settled in for the "brush and wear" style that I hate! My prissy little 4 yr. old has even had to wash and fix her own hair and this is the result! Hey, any girl will agree that if one hair accessory is good, certainly two (or 3 or 4) would be better!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

So sorry to hear about (and see) your hand. I understand about how things fall to the way side when mom's are out of commission...I have had strep throat for 2 days and my house looks like a tornado hit! Oh the joys! Hope you are back to normal soon!

Darla said...

Janine,
you're so funny. Isn't it crazy how much one little hand can do?? Do you need some help around the house? Seriously!! Use me PLEASE!

Lyric said...

Yikes! I have the same thing on the back of my left hand and have been thinking about having it taken care of. Maybe I'll just live with it.

Good to see you!