Thursday, March 4, 2010

Why I Volunteer

People volunteer for many reasons. Sometimes it is to be involved in things their children are involved in. At other times, volunteering may happen out of guilt because no one else will do it. There are plenty of people who volunteer for altruistic reasons, because they feel they want to give back to society.

As for me......I volunteer so I can laugh! I spent the day at school yesterday helping with school pictures. I have to admit to initially being lured in by the offer of free pictures of my child for helping for the day, but after spending a day there, I find myself craving the opportunity to go back! I have never laughed so hard in my life! First there was the little girl who was going from photographer to photographer (we had 3 set up to make things go faster) trying to get her picture made THREE times because "it is so much fun and I want to be a model!" Then there was the darling little autistic boy who had to be coaxed into a upright position with his hands not in his mouth or over his face......I personally thought they should have sent the candids home since those were adorable! After twenty minutes of all of us coaxing (including the kids in his class) the photographer finally got a shot she was happy with. But the most hilarious was the 5th grade boy who twisted and twisted the comb into his hair so tightly that it could not be removed! Of course it was right up in the front of his head where his bangs were! I was trying so hard not to laugh while I struggled to get it out! The photographer finally took the picture with the comb pushed back into his black hair and hoped that in group shot it wouldn't be too noticeable!

Having an impulsive child myself, I probably would not be the best one to be a substitute teacher at a school. I am afraid I would laugh too much to be effective in disciplining, but I think that sometimes kids just need to be loved and celebrated. (if only I could remember that more at home.....)

I can't wait to go back!

No comments: