Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Eating Healthy

Many of you know that I am a Registered Dietitian. Years ago, before I ever had children, I had perfect ideas about how well my children would eat and about how I would lovingly take time to prepare well-rounded meals for my family that would be graciously eaten and appreciated. I even fantasized about how my teenagers would take in their 24 hr. food history log to their high school health class and the teacher would be so impressed with how well-rounded their meals were. Unfortunately, those lofty goals got lost somewhere along the way (along with the goals of having a perfectly clean house when my husband got home each day, never taking my children out in public without having their face clean and hair combed and matching clothes, and the list goes on.......) So what happened? Life, I guess! I got really burned out on cooking anything when my children came to the table and immediately said, "Do I have to eat THAT? Never mind, I'm not hungry!" Night after night, the complaints came in. Motherhood really is a thankless job, isn't it?!!! I gradually gave up the emphasis on nutrition for what was easy and what was appreciated by the kids. It is sad to see how far we have fallen and what poor eaters my children can be!

A week ago, I stumbled on this fun blog which I added to my "Blogs I Love" list. It is about one mom's quest to help her kids become healthier eaters. I applaud her efforts and have been inspired in my own efforts to bring about a healthy eating revolution in my own family. Chris and I started "dieting" this summer as part of a weight loss challenge that my sisters thought up. Really we are not dieting; we are just being more health conscious in our eating and have stepped up our exercise efforts. We are encouraging more exercise for our children and I am bringing my nutrition expertise off the back burner and trying to plan healthier meals for our family. My efforts are still not met with cheers and great acclaim, but I acknowledge that it will take a while to create a nutrition revolution at my house! I am planning gradual, health-conscious changes that I hope will just as gradually be accepted by my family. In the meantime, Chris has lost 12 lbs. and I have lost 6 lbs. and I am definitely feeling like I have more energy! I think the effort is worthwhile!

2 comments:

Sonda said...

Way to go! Good luck in your efforts. Kids are a tough crowd and unless ii involves lots of carbs or processed food, they think it's gross. When you're done with your family, will you come work on mine?

Jodi said...

Good luck J9! Let me know if you find a recipe or two that is healthy and has your kids "cheering with great acclaim"!