Thursday, July 3, 2008

Our Kids Are Falling Apart!

I feel like I am spending every day of this summer running someone to and from doctor/dentist appointments! Somewhere the meaning of vacation has been lost on me! I got up at 7 a.m. this morning to take Caleb to the doctor. He has been in bed since Sunday feeling totally miserable. It is all he can do to walk down the stairs once a day and collapse on the couch till I send him back up to his room! After a strep test and a blood draw, they determined that he has Mono! Poor thing.....what a way to spend your summer! For the time being, he is out of swim team indefinitely and is hoping to be well enough to go to scout camp in 2 weeks. We had the missionaries over for dinner tonight and they helped Chris give him a blessing, so we are hopeful he will feel better soon.

After the doctor's appointment, I rushed home to take Samuel and Savannah to the dentist. We went last week for cleanings and checkups with all the kids and discovered that Savannah had 3 cavities and Samuel had 6!!!! It was a complete shock to me since only one of my kids have EVER had a cavity and it was a wierd one where the gum formed a pocket around a tooth that was coming in and there was nothing we could have done to prevent it. Now, I don't claim to be the best mom at oral hygiene, but cavities really are not something that I expected.

Savannah went first and was a little trooper! She got all 3 of her teeth filled in one appointment without having to be numbed! She was fortunate they were all small cavities! Then they started in on Samuel and boy were his teeth bad! He ended up having to have a procedure that is similar to a root canal done on one of his baby teeth. They numbed him up good! They were only able to get 2 fillings done and it still took an hour and a half! So he is lined up for another appointment that will be similar to the one done today in two weeks and hopefully he will do as well. I am just glad that they both were able to handle it without being put to sleep because that would have added $2000 per kid to the bill! As it was, I noticed the balance on our account when I checked out was $1700!!! Of course that includes all the routine checkups done last week, so I am hoping that after insurance pays their part I will only owe a couple hundred dollars. In the meantime, chewy candy and fruit snacks are now off limits at our house!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Holy Cow Janine! You have had a difficult day or two. I am so sorry to hear about Caleb. I hope that he can kick this as quickly as possible. When is your beach vacation? We'd love to see you again.
Tracy