Friday, July 11, 2008

Finding Peace

This has been somewhat of a crazy week. It is one of those weeks when I have too many things going on and I can't seem to wrap anything up. As a result, I have mass mayhem going on in my house! In my quest to create some areas that portray a semblance of organization, everything seems to have made its way to my room where I have piles and piles of projects! I do not consider myself to be unorganized, which is why it is so distressing to me to open the door to my room and find the chaos that now exists there! Chris seems to be on the same level of disorganization as me right now since summer scout camp is a week away and he is spending every spare minute trying to get things together for that. Everything came to a head yesterday when I was trying to finalize my craft projects for Cub Scout Day camp which involved actually making the crafts to determine feasibility for my age groups, shopping and getting quotes on supplies, and coming up with different options for those that I deemed too difficult or too expensive. I was also holding a Relief Society Presidency meeting at my house and the Stake Relief Society President had called wanting me to co-chair a zone conference meal for 120 missionaries in our area in TWO WEEKS! In the midst of all this I had to take Caleb back into the doctor for a recheck to make sure that his spleen wasn't enlarged due to mono (it was, which limits the merit badge classes he can take at summer camp; but that's another story!). Have you ever felt like you honestly could not take on one more thing? That is exactly where I was at! I feel like I am doing lots of things, but none of them well, and that causes me much distress!

This morning I woke up at 7:30 and decided to drag my tired body out of bed, over the piles of craft supplies and art projects, and go walking. I knew I had a million things to finalize today, but when I get stressed, I really need to take care of myself first and exercise is a great stress reliever for me. The sun was starting to peek through the trees in my neighborhood and the July weather was not nearly as hot and humid as it should be at this time of the year. It is a beautiful day! I caught myself smiling as I walked my normal route and heard the birds chirping and enjoyed the beauty of my neighborhood. Near the end of my two mile route, I passed the lake which was perfectly calm and still and created a mirrored reflection of the trees and the sky. I love living here! I realized I have so many things to be greatful for: the beauty of nature, a husband who loves and supports me, children who can be so much work but who I love more than anything, counselors who are willing to take over zone conference meals so I can focus on day camp, friends who bless my life by their presence, and a Heavenly Father who loves me enough to remind me to see his love in everything around me. I am truly blessed, and in that knowledge, I have found peace.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I LOVE your new look! I don't think you should change your name, I really like what you have! But I can put something together for your header if you want! I'm having too much fun with photoshop!

The Porter Family said...

I can't tell you how many weeks I thought I wasn't going to make it through and I am still here....I guess there is peace in knowing that we will survive. I only wish I was there to lend a hand! I'm sure if I take a picture of my garage, you will instantly feel better about your disorganization! :)

Jodi said...

WOW! Sounds like a lot has been placed on your plate...good luck! I'm sure you will come through with flying colors! You have such a great smile/laugh - use it to your advantage!
It sounds beautiful where you live - I wish I could go walking with you!

Julie said...

How nice it must be to be able to see the blessings BEFORE the breakdown...I don't ususally have it happen that way. You do things so well, that I even want to be a Scout to come to your camp...where can I sign up??