Saturday, June 14, 2008

School's Out!!!!!


The last few weeks have gone by in a whirlwind as we lived through SOL's (standardized testing required in our state.....funny name, huh?!), our first experience with high school finals, and the opening of the swimming pool which brought on the onslaught of nightly swim team practices. This was the first year Shelby couldn't really coast on into the summer after Memorial Day because she had finals up to the last day of school. Well, yesterday was that glorious day! The kids were so giddy and excited! They begged me to take them out of school early, so I decided to go get them after the first 2 hrs. and we all went up to the waterpark. It was so much fun! Savannah is getting brave on the waterslides, but the poor thing is just not tall enough to be able to do them all! We played till we were exhausted and then stopped at a pizza buffet on the way home. It was a really nice day!

After we got home last night, I started going through the backpacks trying to throw out anything we don't need before the kids discover it and argue that they absolutely positively cannot throw away that assignment. I found Samuel's 1st grade journal and started reading through it. Now, those of you who have lived through your own first graders know there is nothing more precious than that 1st grade journal! I have saved them from all my kids because they are so fun to read!There was an entry in Samuel's journal that I had to laugh at.......


My Grandpa
My grandpa likes to play with me. He is funny. I like to go to his house because you can see the deer and I can play in his cool treehouse that looks like a house that is built by wood and it is tall. My grandpa has no hair so no head lice will get in. My grandpa is cool.

I asked Samuel how he knew about head lice because I haven't ever talked to him about it and he said "My teacher has a book on it in our library and I read it!" Obviously, head lice are a big thing at his school!

Well, I'm off to enjoy our summer vacation! If you need me, you can find me at the pool for the next few months!

2 comments:

The Porter Family said...

Sounds like a great start to your summer! One of the things we were going to LOVE about VA was the cool community pool. Congrats to your kids on the character awards! Way to go! I'll be seeing you on the blog one sunburn from now!

Jodi said...

Yae for the last day of school! And double yae for swimming pools and water parks! Have fun and post often!