Monday, November 24, 2008

Our Many Travels

Or perhaps I should title this "How Many Pictures Can I Fit in One Post!"
We have been travelling across country! Savannah went on her "first" airplane ride (that she can remember anyway).The pilot decided to help the kids make up for time they were missing at school and taught them all about flying an airplane. They each got a chance to sit up in the cockpit and LOVED it!Here are my well-trained travelers in the airport at the "rainbow wall".We got to Aunt Shannon's house in Nevada and spent lots of time exploring the Lost City Museum. Notice Savannah is always posing.......where did she get that from? Joshua was so excited to find a Joshua Tree that we had to take a picture with it!

Savannah found some friends across the street and has been having lots of fun playing with girls her age. (Aunt Shannon's only girl is 14!) Daddy, can you add this to my Christmas list?

There was even a chance for a sleepover at her cousins house! Thanks, Courtney and Sierra, for making Savannah's first sleepover a memorable one!

After one day of rest, we were off to BYU to show Shelby and Caleb THE BEST university in the world! Now, all of my Utah friends, PLEASE don't hate me for coming to Utah and not visiting you......we were only in Utah for less than 24 hrs. and I knew this would be a whirlwind trip as it was without trying to meet up with my friends. I will catch you next time!

I thoroughly embarrassed Shelby by taking pictures of her in front of HOT college guys with my HUMONGOUS camera because it isn't cute and pink and tiny. So the only pics I got of her at BYU are of her back!
We drove up the Salt Lake City and spent the night at my cousin Sonda's house. The kids got a chance to meet their 2nd cousins and I got to *finally* meet Sonda's family. The boys played the playstation while Savannah and Tiara played girly princess stuff. We all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. THANKS SONDA AND DAVE! You guys are great!

Then it was off for a visit to Temple Square! Savannah, Samuel and Joshua had never been there and Shelby and Caleb can only vaguely remember, so I had to sieze the moment and GO!

It was the first time I have been in the new conference center and I was AMAZED at how huge it was! It was fun for the kids to see in person what they see on TV when we watch General Conference.
And of course, the Salt Lake Temple is a stunning sight. We loved seeing all the brides (notice we even got one in our pictures) and couldn't believe how busy it was!
The Church Museum of History and Art was a fun place for the kids to explore. They had this cute interactive children's exhibit where we spent a lot of time.
We got out of town before the big BYU/Utah football game (boohoo, BYU lost.....) and drove down to see my sister Krysten's family.
Of course the cousins had fun together being wild and crazy and I got to see my latest nephew (well sort of.....)
After spending the night, we drove to Panaca, NV (where I call HOME) and went to church. It has been over 10 years since I have been back; it was smaller than I remembered, but I fell in love with it all over again. As a matter of fact, I have spent all night trying to figure out how we could move there! Unfortunately there are not many jobs outside of teaching and farming in Lincoln County, and I don't think my husband's Chemistry/MBA degrees would be put to good use there.
We met up with Uncle Glen and Aunt Shannon's family and had a cookout at Cathedral Gorge.
The kids had fun exploring the moon caves and climbing to the top! It is incredible that we had 11 kids there and no one got hurt!
How could I not miss this??? There is so much beauty in the desert!
We took the kids to the Spring (our old swimming hole) and let Uncle Glen initiate them into the JOY of a moss fight!
I can't believe we got our fussy teenage girls in there!
AGAIN, I say, HOW CAN I NOT MISS THIS?!!!
Farewell, Panaca! I can't tell you how good it felt to finally have my children HOME experiencing the joys of country life and having fun at all our old hangouts!

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow! It looks like you are having a fun trip! We are going to Karen's for Thanksgiving. Talk to you soon!

J Bailey said...

what an amazing trip!!! This looked like so much for for your kids and especially for you to show your kids!!!! I enjoyed all the pictures too!!! what a great vacation!!!!!

Jodi said...

What a trip - although it would have been fun to see you!! Glad you had a fun trip and we'll meet up with you for sure next time you're in the desert!

The Porter Family said...

I am so glad you got to enjoy a fabulous getaway like that! It looks like a successful trip! Hope to see you next time you are on our side of the country! Happy Thanksgiving!

Sonda said...

We loved having you visit. I just wish it could have been longer. It looks like the rest of your trip was a lot of fun.

Darla said...

What a beautiful place, Janine! I never knew Nevada was that pretty.. (; I'm glad you guys were able to take that vacation, as a fam!!

Julie said...

I have to be honest...I don't like you thinking about how to move to Nevada. However, I see why you want to go. But Virginia has it's beauty too, you'll just have to show that in your next blog! I'm sooo glad you're home! I missed you a ton!