Monday, September 15, 2008

Back to the Garden

Life has been a bit busy here since school started, and I have to admit, I let my garden go untended for the last several weeks. I have made many trips out to grab a few tomatoes for dinner, but other than that, I haven't spent much time there. When I went over to check things out today, this is what I found. Yes, it is completely overgrown with weeds, but I couldn't believe how my cantaloupe plant has taken over everything! The garden area ends in the middle of the picture to the right of the sticks. I was once again surprised at how healthy this cantaloupe plant has been to only produce 1 measly little fruit that never survived! Our watermelon stopped growing several weeks ago and was all rotten, so poor Savannah was crouched down next to it rubbing it and saying, "It's okay little watermelon, we'll fix you"! (Looks like its time for me to make a strategically timed trip to the store to buy a watermelon to sit out there for her!) The tomatoes are nearing the end of their lifecycle, but we have sure enjoyed having fresh tomatoes for the last month. I was just about to walk away when I noticed one small cantaloupe growing on the vine. I bent down to get a closer look and noticed that there are others! After rummaging around through the leaves and weeds, I was able to count TEN cantaloupes growing! I don't know what this means.....it may be too late in the season at this point to start growing cantaloupes, but we will wait and see!

No comments: