Monday, September 1, 2008

Another Year, Another School

Well, tommorow is the big day. All our kids head back to another year of school. Once again, I have 4 kids in 4 different schools.....lucky me! I have to admit that the child I am most concerned and anxious about is Shelby. Last year was somewhat of a disaster for her and she made a lot of choices that she really regrets. This summer has been just what she needed. She has been strengthened and lifted up, she has gained a testimony of her own, and she has put her life back on a positive track. I am in awe of the young woman she has become and her ability to recognize her mistakes and learn from them.

For Shelby, part of the transformation involved a decision to change high schools. So tommorow Shelby heads off to start her sophomore year in a new school. I can't help but feel a little nervous for her! Tonight we sat up talking and I felt impressed to tell her what a beautiful young lady she is. I told her that I worry that she is always concerned about whether or not she measures up to the popular crowd and she just needs to let that go. She is worth so much more than she gives herself credit for. Then I played a beautiful song for her by Jenny Phillips, To Become Like Him, and told her that I wanted her to make this her theme song for the year and listen to it on her ipod on the way to and from school.

Here are the lyrics; they are words that I don't think we can ever hear enough. If you want to listen to the song, you can click the title above and it will link to it.

You look around you
And you wonder if you’ll ever measure up
In this world it seems you may never be enough
Don’t let anyone convince you that it’s true
So much beauty lives inside of you
And you are enough
Just look up

Remember you are greatest
When you walk with God
When His light is in your eyes
You are truly strong
You don’t have to prove your beauty
In the eyes of men
You are divine within
You were sent here to become like Him

When you’re uncertain
Of the place you hold and who you are inside
He will share with you your part in His design
Seek for His meekness
Seek to emulate His life
And you will feel Him always by your side
You have His love
Just look up

Remember you are greatest
When you walk with God
When His light is in your eyes
You are truly strong
You don't have to prove your beauty in the eyes of men
You are divine within
You were sent here to become like him


So here's to another year in another school. Shelby, I know you can succeed! You are beautiful and you ARE more than enough. I love you!

4 comments:

Sonda said...

I love that song. We all need to listen to it every morning and remind us who we are. Shelby has nothing to worry about. She is a darling girl. I WAS one of those popular girls and I never felt like I measured up. Imagine that! Being a teenager is so fun and so hard. It's so easy to look around and feel like you're not as good as someone else, but they are feeling the same way looking at someone else. We all need to remember we are Daughters of a King and He loves us all.

Shannon said...

That is one of Austyn's favorite songs. She plays it on her ipod all the time. Good Luck Shelby!!

Jodi said...

I love that song - I have a couple of Jenny Phillips CD's and she has some great lyrics! Good luck to Shelby - being a teenager is so difficult sometimes...I hope the song helps!

*austyn* said...

omigoodness!! I love that song. I came acrossed it like around a month or so and I listen to it everytime it comes. I made my mom sit there and listen to it but who knows if she actually listened...mmm...lol. i miss you guys and im now in high school so i guess i was nervous but i hope that everything goes well for shelby! update me soon! :)