Tuesday, August 12, 2008

We Have a Fungus......

Well, not us really, but our cucumbers do indeed have a fungus! I had no idea that vegetable gardens with growing plants could get a fungus! Who knew this would become an instructional gardening blog?!!! I took a leaf from my cucumber vine into the local farm store after my dad told me it looked like I needed to spray a fungicide on the garden. They helped me pick out a fungicide that hopefully will be able to treat the garden. My squash was starting to show signs of fungal spores too, so it was just in time. There was a wealth of information at the farm store and I strongly advise you go there first rather than wasting your time at Lowes or Home Depot garden departments. I was also able to find out what happened to my other 2 squash plants....apparently there is a borer that chews through the base of a healthy squash plant causing it to go from growing nicely to dead in a matter of days. I do believe we were victims! So I am chalking this up to a very educational year in my garden and hope to try again with pesticides and fungicides from the start next year!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

What do you put on your plants to help with the fungus? My plants all look like the picture of your plant! Maybe some new soil and some fungus repellant will help my garden next year! Let me know!

Julie said...

Okay, so I'm thinking congratulations are in order, but I'm just not feeling that is the right word. If you want to feel better about your garden, you should see the three 5-gallon buckets we have at our house!